Nobody needs reminding that Christmas is fast approaching…..so to make sure you still fit into that gorgeous outfit on December the 31st here are a couple of strategies to keep you on track through the Christmas celebrations…
1. Before going out to a party or get together with friends, drink 2-3 glass of water and have a snack…… try not to arrive famished. Make your first drink a non alcoholic one, alternate alcohol with a soft drink, make wine spritzers……remember one unit of alcohol (small glass of wine or 1/2 pint of beer) takes the liver an hour to metabolize before it is out of your system.
2. If you follow step one then you will not over indulge then you first arrive at the party in the high salt and fat snacks ….a handful of nuts = 243 calories, a portion of chips = 60 calories and one 6 oz glass of wine = 150 calories ..yikes that is 450 calories before you sit down to eat.
3. Keep a tray of fruits and veggies cut up and in the fridge at all times….. making sure there are healthy choices that are high in potassium will help combat the fat/salt treat food we indulge in over Christmas.
4. The average person eats between 5000 and 7000 calories on Christmas Day….. so pace yourself in the days leading up to the 25th…. try not to indulge every single day during December. Cut back on your calories on the days you are not going out and try to burn a few extra calories when you do workout.
5. We all get very busy at this time of the year, make sure you are not missing meals, this results in less energy and more stress…which we all know leads to eating lots of things we shouldn’t. Keep hydrated too, many times we feel fatigue when we are actually dehydrated.
6. Agghh stress … for many of us it is Stressmas so try and get yourself into a quiet dark room for a 5 – 10 min deep relaxation/breathing session, this will reduce your heartrate and reoxygenate your blood, clear your head and help you to keep on top of things. If you are afraid you will fall asleep set the alarm clock for 10 minutes.
7. If you did blow it the night before today is another day don’t beat yourself up, drink lots of water eat a sensible breakfast, light lunch and dinner with lots of vegetables and avoid breads and pasta. Keeping it simple gives your digestive system a break from all those rich foods.
8. Most of all take each day as it comes and enjoy the family and friends you are with rather than worrying about the days to come !!