Find Time for Physical Activity
(Posted by Jen….group fitness and Zumba instructor)
You went for your annual check up and your doctor recommended that you get more physical activity into your daily routine. This will ensure that you stay healthy for a lot longer and help you protect yourself from things like Heart Attacks, Strokes, and Diabetes.
When can this fit into your already packed schedule? There are only 24 hours in a day and you should be sleeping 7-9 of those, leaving only 13-16 hours to work, spend time with family & friends, and, now, to get physically active?
Canada’s Physical Activity Guide recommends 30-60 minutes of physical activity per day.
How can you get started? Let’s break down the average day:
Work – 8 hours including a 30 minute lunch and 2 – 15 minute breaks
- Ø How about climbing stairs during your break in the morning and walking around outside during the afternoon? That’s 30 minutes right there.
Friends – 3 hours per week
- Ø Why not go dancing? Or join a gym and work out together? How about joining a team event? This can get you an additional 60-90 minutes of exercise per week
Family – 2-4 hours per day (during the week) and 8 hours per day (weekends)
- Ø Walk the children to school each day and this will get an additional 10-20 minutes in. This will also get the children more active as well!
- Ø How about going for a family hike on the weekend? Pack a healthy picnic and go for a hike? This could get the whole family physically active for 2-3 hours at a time.
- Ø What about signing the kids up for a sport that you enjoy as well and help coach their team? That is an additional 30-90 minutes.
- Ø You and your partner can plan a “Date Night” where you go for a walk along the beach or go dancing together. This can get another hour or two in for the week. And, it gets your partner moving too
And, of course, you can always join a gym and see if there are any classes available for you to attend while you work on getting some “Me” time. There are classes available that can fit into any day of the week and you should be able to find one close to you that you will have fun at. Maybe, a Pilates class, Yoga, or Spin class. Possibly a Step class, Bootcamp, or Zumba! There are so many options out there. Why not check them out?
If you would like a free copy of Canada’s Physical Activity Guide, please visit: www.paguide.com
For now, keep moving!