By: Allaina Mitic Sept. 3/13
Labour Day is the holiday best known for football, family/friends and deep fried food. While some of you may have been diligent in your weight loss efforts, I applaud you – for the rest of us, it’s time for some healthy changes. Here are 4 simple strategies that are effective in straightening out your eating habits.
1.Screen your current intake.
– What are you putting in your mouth? How much of it? When?
– Create a log for one whole day.
– This allows you to visually see the amount of intake you are currently ingesting and will give you a base to start all of your planning.
2.Analyze your intake.
– Sit down with your daily intake log and compare it to the Canada’s Food Guide. (www.healthcanada.gc.ca/foodguide)
– Are you eating too much? Not enough?
– Notice where you have been lacking or over indulging in your diet and create realistic goals.
– Make sure your goals are specific with a timeline. (ex. I will increase my water intake by drinking 8 glasses a day by Friday Sept. 6/13)
– Achieving your planned goal is a great feeling. Sticking with the change and staying motivated will take some effort on your part but you can do it!
There is no better time to start than now. Why let bad habits grow when you can stop now, and form new healthy habits to be proud of. Practicing these 4 simple strategies will help you to keep your eating balanced and ensure you are getting the right amount of nutrients your body needs. Physical activity and a well-balanced diet are key ingredients to a happier and healthier lifestyle.